The Harris County has resumed renewals, placards, timed permits, disabled placards, special plates and replacements without an appointment. Appointments are only required for New Residents and Title Transfers. Please review the following information before scheduling your appointment below. Each appointment allows for a maximum of 3 transactions per day. The online appointment system is not available to dealers and title services or companies with bulk transactions. Please continue to drop off packages if you are a dealer or title service. For companies with bulk transactions please e-mail us for further instructions at Autotdmv@hctx.net.
You can renew online up to 9 months expired. The online receipt serves as proof of registration and the new sticker will be mailed directly to you. https://renew.txdmv.gov/Renew/RegistrationRenewalServlet
To ensure the safety of all customers, as well as our personnel, you will be required to comply with the following for your appointment:
We are now allowing walk-ins for registration, timed permits, placards, disabled plates, special plates or replacements so you can visit any of our 15 offices with your passing inspection report less than 90 days old and insurance. We are not taking cash so please pay with a check, money order, cashier’s check or debit/credit card. (Extra 2.15% and .50 charge assessed on all cards.)
You can walk in Monday – Friday, from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Or you can mail it in. Mail in a copy of the insurance, inspection less than 90 days old and check or money order made payable to Harris County. E-mail us for the fee at Autotdmv@hctx.net or use our estimator https://www.hctax.net/Auto/FeeEstimator.
Ann Harris Bennett
Po box 4089 Attn: Renewal Dept
Houston TX 77210
You can renew at a grocery store if you have your renewal notice, passing inspection less than 90 days old and it is not more than 9 months expired. You can also renew online if it is not more than 9 months expired and you have your passing inspection less than 90 days old.
- All customers will be screened prior to entering the building. Screening will include having your temperature taken, and you will be asked if you or any person you have been in contact with for the previous 14 days has had any of the following symptoms:
- Shortness of Breath
- Body Aches
- All customers visiting the tax office will be required to wear a face mask or facial covering
- Social distancing must be followed (6 feet apart)
- Only customers will be allowed into the building, with the following exceptions:
- ADA accommodations
- Customers with small children
- Elderly persons
- Business needs (parental authorization, residency/address change, etc.)
- Payments should be made by credit/debit, money orders, cashier's and personal checks will be accepted (for the correct amount) *2.15% transaction fee plus 50 cent processing fee applies to all card payments
- Cash will not be accepted
- It is very important that if you are picking up special plates you verify on our website that the plates have arrived in our office. Do not go by the e-mail you receive from any other entity except our office. This link will also allow you to request the plates can be sent to another office. This will ensure you are not turned away for your appointment. https://www.hctax.net/Auto/Plate
If these requirements are not met, you may be required to reschedule your appointment at a later date.
For additional information, see the Frequently Asked Questions provided on our website https://www.hctax.net/Auto/AutoFAQ
Please select the button below to cancel your existing appointment. If you need to reschedule your appointment, please complete the process below.