The Harris County Tax Office requires appointments for all automobile services except for registrations/replacements and disabled placards/disabled plates as long as they are not being accompanied by a title transfer or first time Texas registration. Please review the following information before scheduling your appointment below. Each appointment allows for a maximum of 3 transactions per appointment. The online appointment system is not available to dealers, financial institutions, and title services. If you are a business with a fleet of vehicles that you need to title please e-mail us to make other arrangements at Autotdmv@hctax.net .
You can renew online up to 12 months expired. The online receipt serves as proof of registration and the new sticker will be mailed directly to you. https://renew.txdmv.gov/Renew/RegistrationRenewalServlet
You can renew at a grocery store if you have your renewal notice, passing inspection less than 90 days old and it is not more than 9 months expired.
Registration renewals can be done by mail regardless of the expiration date. Send in a copy of the insurance, inspection less than 90 days old, and check or money order made payable to Harris County. E-mail us your plate number for the fee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ann Harris Bennett
Po box 4089 Attn: Renewal Dept
Houston TX 77210
Most transactions can be done by mail. Please email us for more information at email@example.com.
To ensure the safety of all customers, as well as our personnel, you will be required to comply with the following for your appointment or to walk into an office:
- All customers will be screened prior to entering the building. Screening will include having your temperature taken, and you will be asked if you or any person you have been in contact with for the previous 14 days has had any of the following symptoms:
- Shortness of Breath
- Body Aches
- All customers visiting the tax office are required to wear a mask or face covering in order to enter the building
- Social distancing must be followed (6 feet apart)
- Only customers will be allowed into the building, with the following exceptions:
- ADA accommodations
- Customers with small children
- Elderly persons
- Payments should be made by credit/debit, money orders, cash, cashier's and personal checks will be accepted (for the correct amount) *2.15% transaction fee plus 50 cent processing fee applies to all card payments
- It is very important that if you are picking up special plates you verify on our website that the plates have arrived in our office. Do not go by the e-mail you receive from any other entity except our office. This will ensure you are not turned away for your appointment. Special plates can only be picked up from the main office at 1001 Preston 2nd floor Auto Dept. https://www.hctax.net/Auto/Plate
If these requirements are not met, you may be required to reschedule your appointment at a later date.
For additional information, see the Frequently Asked Questions provided on our website https://www.hctax.net/Auto/AutoFAQ
Please select the button below to cancel your existing appointment. If you need to reschedule your appointment, please complete the process below.