The Harris County Tax Office has resumed all services by appointment only and mail. Please review the following information before scheduling your appointment below. Each appointment allows for a maximum of 3 transactions. The online appointment system is not available to dealers and title services. Please continue to drop off packages.
A waiver has been granted for the expiration date of your registration, placard, timed permit, or title transfer that remains valid for 60 days after the Governor provides further public notice that normal operations have resumed. All local and state law enforcement officials have been notified of this expiration waiver. When the Harris County Tax Office resumes normal operations, you will be able to renew without any penalty.
You can renew online up to 6 months expired. The online receipt serves as proof of registration and the new sticker will be mailed directly to you. https://renew.txdmv.gov/Renew/RegistrationRenewalServlet
To ensure the safety of all customers, as well as our personnel, you will be required to comply with the following for your appointment:
- Services are by scheduled appointment only. Individuals without an appointment will receive instruction and assistance in setting an appointment for a future date and time.
- All customers will be screened prior to entering the building. Screening will include having your temperature taken, and you will be asked if you or any person you have been in contact with for the previous 14 days has had any of the following symptoms:
- Shortness of Breath
- Body Aches
- All customers visiting the tax office will be required to wear a face mask or facial covering
- Social distancing must be followed (6 feet apart)
- Only customers will be allowed into the building, with the following exceptions:
- ADA accommodations
- Customers with small children
- Elderly persons
- Business needs (parental authorization, residency/address change, etc.)
- Payments should be made by credit/debit, money orders, cashier's and personal checks will be accepted (for the correct amount) *2.15% transaction fee plus 50 cent processing fee applies to all card payments
- Cash will not be accepted
- It is very important that if you are picking up special plates you verify on our website that the plates have arrived in our office. Do not go by the e-mail you receive from any other entity except our office. This link will also allow you to request the plates can be sent to another office. This will ensure you are not turned away for your appointment. https://www.hctax.net/Auto/Plate
If these requirements are not met, you may be required to reschedule your appointment at a later date.
For additional information, see the Frequently Asked Questions provided on our website https://www.hctax.net/Auto/AutoFAQ
Please select the button below to cancel your existing appointment. If you need to reschedule your appointment, please complete the process below.