Automobile appointments are required for all vehicle transactions and for vehicles that have never been registered in Texas (e.g., title transfer, new residents, homemade trailers). No appointment is needed for Texas vehicle registration renewals, special plates, registration/plate replacements, disabled placards, or disabled plates.
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) handles apportioned registrations, lost or destroyed vehicle titles, and oversize/overweight permits. Go to or call 1(888)-368-4689 for assistance.

Ann Harris Bennett
Tax Assessor-Collector
Report Abandoned Property to the Tax Office

If you are a homeowner age 65 or over or disabled, you can stop a judgment or tax sale, or defer (postpone) paying delinquent property taxes on your homestead for as long as you own it and live in it. To postpone your tax payments, file a tax deferral affidavit with your appraisal district. The deferral applies to delinquent property taxes for all of the taxing units that tax your home.

You should be aware that a tax deferral only postpones payments, it does not cancel them. Interest will be added at the rate of 8% annually. Once you no longer own your home or live in it, all the taxes, pre-deferral penalties and interest, together with the 8% deferral interest become due after 180 days. If the taxes remain unpaid, regular penalties and interest accrue and the taxing units may proceed with a lawsuit to collect delinquent taxes through a tax sale.

Homestead ExemptionsMilitary & VerteransFreeport Exemptions
Active Duty Military DeferralOver 65/Disabled Deferral

You can report abandoned real property by downloading and completing an Abandoned Property Report, and mailing it back to our office.You can also register online to bid at Harris County Constables' tax foreclosure sales.