The Harris County Tax Office issues disabled placards and disabled-person license plates to county residents as prescribed by their physicians. Detailed information is provided in this section explaining the requirements for the issuance of blue or red placards and disabled-person license plates. The Tax Office is available at 713-274-8000 for individual attention to questions about disabled-person parking.
Two Type of Disabled Placards
Blue Disabled Placards (Permanent or Temporary)
Issued to an individual with “specific mobility problems” as follows:
- cannot walk without the use of an assistance device, including a brace, a cane, a crutch, another person, or a prosthetic device
- cannot ambulate without a wheelchair or similar device
Red Disabled Placards (Permanent or Temporary)
Issued to all other disabled persons who have disabilities other than the specific mobility-related disabilities associated with blue disabled placards.
“Disability” means a condition in which a person has:
- mobility problems that substantially impair the person’s ability to ambulate
- visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with correcting lenses; or, visual acuity of more than 20/200 but with an otherwise limited field of vision
Immediate Return of Disabled Placards Required When:
- disabled resident moves outside of Harris County
- death of disabled Harris County resident
- improvements in disabled resident’s mobility that no longer fit the parameters for acquisition of a disabled placard due to surgery, physical therapy, or any type of physical rehabilitation
|It is illegal to continue using an invalid disabled placard, or to improperly renew a disabled placard. A violation is punishable by fines ranging from $250 to $1,000 and between 10 and 50 hours of community service|