Payment Agreement FAQ

What types of payment agreements are available for delinquent taxes?

Two types of agreements are available for qualifying account:

What is the difference between the two types of agreements and how do I qualify?

When are payment agreements for delinquent taxes available?

What is the term of the agreement?

All payment agreements are for a 12 month term.

What is the benefit of entering into a payment agreement for delinquent taxes?

Delinquent accounts incur monthly penalty and interest charges on any unpaid balance due on the account. If the account remains delinquent, it will be turned over to an attorney for collection, at which time an additional attorney’s collection penalty of 15-20% will be assessed as follows:

If you enter into a payment agreement, additional charges will still continue to accrue on any unpaid balance on the account. However, the additional attorney’s collection penalty of 15-20% will not be assessed and the account will not be turned over to a law firm for collection, provided that:

How do I contact you set up a payment agreement for my delinquent taxes?

You may do so online, by entering your information above, or contact the Tax Office by:

When is my monthly payment due?

Payment is due by the last day of each month.

Where do I mail my signed agreement?

Mail your signed agreement to: P.O. Box 4622 Houston, Texas 77210-4622. You should also include your first payment and payment coupon with the agreement if you have not already paid either in person or online.

If I request an agreement online how do I make my first payment?

When can I expect to receive my contract and payment coupons?

You should receive your payment agreement packet within 15 working days of the day you contacted our office. If you don’t receive it within that time, call our office for assistance.

Can I pay off the agreement early?

Yes. You may pay the remaining amount due at any time before the end of your contract. Please contact our office for the correct payoff amount.

How can I find out the amount of my final payment?

You can verify the exact amount of your final payment:

If I miss a payment or do not make my payment before the monthly deadline, can I just start a new agreement?

No. You can only enter into one Payment Agreement per year. If you miss a payment, your agreement will be in default and will be voided.

What happens when my agreement is defaulted?

Once the agreement is defaulted, you must pay the full balance due on your account before the dates below:

If you fail to do so, your account will be referred to a delinquent collection attorney and an additional 15%-20% penalty will be assessed on the total balance due on your account. Failure to pay the tax, once it has been referred to collection may also result in additional fees/costs and legal action up to and including seizure of the property.

Additionally, if you default on a Homestead Payment Agreement, you may not enter into another one for 24 months.